Monday, October 13, 2008

Manila Breakwater

Sharing a photo I took when Randy and I went to the breakwater near Jumbo Restaurant in Manila.

IMG_14363

I lost my mood to shoot when one of the security guards called our attention while we were setting up our gear because we had no permit to shoot. Why would we need a permit to shoot the Manila Bay?! Is it now privately owned?!

Just avoid getting into an argument with the guard who appears to be one of those ignorant to photography types, we went to the admin office to inquire if we really need to have a permit to shoot. When the guard on duty their asked a supervisor, she said that as long as no building of PICC or CCP are included in the shot, then it is ok to shoot without a permit.

I know that a privately owned place reserves the right to deny having pictures of their building taken, especially if its inside the building. Deny photography in public places? It's not like the place has something to hide because its open to the public. That's why its called a public place. Anyone and everyone can see what is and what is going on. Another funny thing is, they deny a photographer of taking pictures only if he is using a dSLR. It would not be an issue if he/she is using a point-and-shoot camera. It would also not be a problem if the person holding a dSLR is a foreigner. Can you say discrimination? In my own country by my countrymen?! Sad..

Anyway, this post is turning into a ranting post so I might as well end it here. My apologies for the rant.Ü

No comments: